Friday, December 13, 2019

Documents required for Tag Renewal, Title Work, Moving to Kansas from another state:
click the arrow  to expand that section and

Maximize Original Title & Registration

Maximize Transfer

Maximize 30 day Temporary Tag

Tag Renewal
The state sends out courtesy renewals 45 days in advance. If you receive a renewal notice in the mail you have a couple of options.

You can renew you registration electronically online or by phone if:

  • Your vehicle is currently registered in Kansas
  • You have a Kansas motor vehicle registration renewal notice with a Pin number
  • Your address on the renewal is current (if your address has changed, do not renew electronically, as your decal or plate will be mailed to this address)
  • Your vehicle is currently insured by a participating insurance company
Maximize To renew your tags electronically:

Maximize To renew by mail or in person at your County Treasurer’s Motor Vehicle Office:

Moving to Kansas from another state:
You will need to take your out of state title and vehicle to the Kansas Department of Transportation building on 1020 S Range, Wednesdays only from 10:00am-1:00pm and have your vehicle inspected. The Kansas Highway Patrol will give you a MVE-1 form, bring that up along with your title and proof of insurance, any other supporting documents, and we will issue you a Kansas plate and registration.


Kansas uses the Staggered System for Motor Vehicle Registrations which goes by the first letter of the last name. Vehicle Registration expiration for autos, light trucks registered with a 12M tag, motorcycles, motorbikes, & RV's are as follows:

C, D
E, F, G
H, I
J, K, L
M, N, O
P, Q, R
T, V, W
U, X, Y, Z

Tags expire at midnight on the last day of the given month.

Heavy trucks (any truck with a gross weight of 16M or higher) & trailers are due by the last day of February.

Payment Methods available:
The on-line web renewal option will accept your renewal payment by E-Check or by major credit card (VISA, MasterCard, American Express or Discover Card). The phone renewal option 785-296-3621 will accept your renewal payment utilizing a valid VISA, MasterCard, American Express or Discover Card. 
The payment processor charges a convenience fee for use of this service.